"....but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."
I Timothy 4:12, 13

Monday, May 10, 2010

"Indivisible" by Kristen Heitzmann

Waterbrook - Multnomah sent me this book to review and blog about.  I was trying to hurry up and finish "Uncle Tom's Cabin" so that I could start reading Indivisible.  I took the book with me on my camping trip this weekend and finished it in two days!  I expected it to last me the whole weekend, but I could not put the book down.  The first couple of paragraphs used too many descriptive words to set the setting and my mind started to blur, but after the first page the book just took off. Kristen is great at giving you just enough information to keep you interested, but not enough to give anything away, you have to keep reading it to find out what happens.
She takes several people who have "issues" to deal with and are very different and throws them together to become great friends.  You have Jonah, the police chief who had an abusive father growing up, Tia, the smart girl who could never please her mother and was emotionally abused, Piper, the Barbie look-a-like who just wants a normal life, Sarge, a grouchy old man who yells at everyone, and Miles, who has a germ-a-phobia.  These people seem to have nothing in common, yet they help each other in a big way.  She sets the tone of the book with Piper finding two raccoons sewn together, they killed each other trying to get apart.  Jonah has to figure out what kind of sick person would do such a thing.
The book had an excellent story line, was well written and taught a good lesson.  However, it contains stuff that should not be in a Christian book.  Yes the characters go to church and pray, but it never mentions salvation or anything else.  They drink alcohol, listen to rock music, etc.  She even talked about Jonah liking a girl's boobs,and one of the characters say a bad word.  Philippians 4:8:  "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."  This is why I read Christian books instead of secular books, to keep my thoughts pure, I wish all Christian authors would honor
Here is an interview Kristen gave about the book.
that.http://www.multnomahemails.com/wbmlt/audio/Kristen_Heitzmann.mp3

Happy Reading,
Missy

No comments: