"....but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."
I Timothy 4:12, 13

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Damascus Way by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke

Photo of The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith Series, Book 3)
What a great book!  I was supposed to have written this review weeks ago, but I was suffering from terrible sinus headaches and have not written any reviews in a while!  Then I was out of town at camp meeting last week!  I have several books to tell you about! 
The Damascus Way is the the finale to the best-selling Acts of Faith trilogy co-authored by Davis Bunn and Janette Oke.
The first book is The Centurion's Wife, the review is here: http://bodaciousbookworms.blogspot.com/2010/07/centurions-wife-by-janette-oke-and.html
The second book is The Hidden Flame, the review is here:  http://bodaciousbookworms.blogspot.com/2010/08/hidden-flame-by-davis-bunn-and-janette.html
I was so excited to read the third book! 
The Damascus Way is about a young rich girl named Julia.  She has everything money can buy, a mother and father who loves her, but something is missing.  They don't have any friends and company never comes over.  She does not understand why until a terrible secret is revealed to her.  The only one she can turn to is Jesus, but it is dangerous to be a follower of The Way.
Abigail's brother, Jacob, is now a young man.  He is a believer, but does not where he belongs in the world.  He feels that he is treated as a child still by his guardian.  Should he continue as a caravan guard, or does God have another way for him to travel?
The book also tells about the Apostle Paul before he was saved and how terrified the Christians were of him.  The title of the book comes from Paul's salvation on the Road to Damascus.
The book is very well written, at one point there is a terrible sand storm, and I could just picture myself there.  I live in TX, and while I was reading the book we were having very high winds and dirt was blowing everywhere and I was covered with dirt from the wind storm, but it was nothing compared to the sand storms in the Middle East!
This is a must read to help you understand what it was like to be a Christian and have to hide from authorities and friends when going to church services, and not being able to talk openly about your faith without fear of persecution.
We ave many freedoms here in America that are slowly being taken away.    We need to pray for our country and it's leaders to make sure this does not happen here!
Find out more about the book here: http://www.davisbunn.com/book/the-damascus-way.htm
You can buy the book at your local bookstore or here: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=the+damascus+way+by+davis+bunn&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1
Be sure to buy yourself a copy today, it is a great book!
Happy Reading,
Missy

2 comments:

Rebecca's Reflections said...

Where in the world do you find all these books (and the time) to read them?

Missy Shay said...

I have to read to "shut down my brain" at night. I can't read the Bible or nonfiction to put me sleep because my brain will be too busy processing the info!