"....but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."
I Timothy 4:12, 13

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Stepping Heavenward by Mrs. E. Prentiss

I just finished reading Stepping Heavenward by Mrs. Elizabeth Prentiss.  This is an excellent book.  It is written as a diary and Mrs. Prentiss inserts herself and her "life stories" frequently.  The main character is Katherine who has a temper that she has a hard time controlling.  She reminds me of myself.  I have a bad temper too that I hate.  The book starts out when she is 16 yrs old and goes through her married life towards the her later years.  There are a lot of spiritual lessons to be learned from Katherine's daily struggles.  This book is written for teenagers, new mothers, wives, single people, ladies of all ages and walks of life.  If you want to be blessed spiritually, you need to read this book!
Here is an excerpt from the book about having devotions and prayers.
"I sometimes find it a help, when dull and cramped in my devotions, to say to myself:  Suppose Christ should now appear before you, and you could see Him as he appeared to His disciples on earth, what would you say to Him?"
There are all kinds of wonderful tidbits like this tron  throughout the book.  Be sure to get a copy today to read, you can get one for only $5 from here:   http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=stepping+heavenward&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1
Here is a poem Mrs. Prentiss wrote after losing two of her children:

I thought that prattling boys and girls
Would fill this empty room;
That my rich heart would gather flowers
From childhood's opening bloom.

One child and two green graves are mine,
This is God's gift to me;
A bleeding, fainting, broken heart—
This is my gift to Thee. 
 
To find out more information about Mrs. Prentiss, you can go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Prentiss
 
To find out more about her books, you can go here:
http://puritan55.tripod.com/id64.htm
 
I hope you get one of her books today to read!  If you have read her books please share with me what you thought of them!
Happy Reading!
Missy

No comments: