"....but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."
I Timothy 4:12, 13

Monday, February 8, 2010

"Sunday Clothes" by Thom Lemmons

"Sunday Clothes" is a very well written book.  From what I have read so far, I would definitely recommend it.  It starts off in the year of 1898.  The father is a staunch Methodist and does not like Church of Christ.  He will not even help a person who is Church of Christ.  I never really thought of such a strong prejudism.  The Bible says not to be "unequally yoked with unbelievers", but how far should you go?  I always thought it to mean hanging out and dating , marrying, that kind of thing, but if someone needed my help I would not refuse it becuae of their belief.  Depending on what they needed of course.  I wouldn't give money to help someone with a building fund for their church or if they were a drug addict.  But I would give them food if they are hungry.  For example:  A lady approached us in the parking lot of the grocery store the other day.  She had on a long skirt, looked well groomed and had her daughter with her who was wearing pants, but she looked well groomed also.  She was selling flowers to raise money to buy groceries and pay bills.  They were cheap plastic flowers, but Chris still gave her a couple of dollars for one.  We did not ask her what religion she was before we gave her the money.  We saw a need so we filled it.  I am Baptist and I would not let my child marry someone who did not hold the same beliefs, but "train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it".  Therefore I will not have to worry about my child leaving my faith, or more importantly leaving Jesus Christ.
Go to your local library or bookstore today to pick up this book and you will understand more about why I have made these comments.
Have fun reading!

No comments: