"....but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."
I Timothy 4:12, 13

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

"The Preacher's Bride" by Jody Hedlund

Bethany House Publishers sent me this book.  I have never read anything by Jody Hedlund before(I think this might be her first book, I couldn't find any other titles by her).  She did a great job on this book, it is loosely based on John Bunyan's life story.  Jody changed the names, some of the time lines, and of course took liberties with the dialogue, etc.  I really liked how in the back of the book she tells you what is true and what is fiction.
The book is set in England with Elizabeth, a young Puritan maiden, as the main character.  Jody does a great job bringing Elizabeth to life with her fears, desire to serve God, and her insecurities.  John Costin is a young man who loses the love of his life during the birth of their fourth child.  John is a tinker by trade, and preacher by passion.  Can the Lord bring these two people together despite all the obstacles in the way?  Is it the Lord's will?  All of these questions are answered in the book.
I would recommend reading this book, it will give you an idea of what England was like in the 16th century, and why the Puritans made the dangerous voyage to America.  For some fun facts and a quiz go to Jody's website here:  http://jodyhedlund.com/reader-fun/
You can buy the book here: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=the+preacher%27s+bride&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1
or you can go to your local bookstore.
I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did!
Missy

No comments: