"....but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."
I Timothy 4:12, 13

Friday, February 11, 2011

Summerhill Secrets Volume 1 by Beverly Lewis


When I worked at a book store, I was in charge of the children's section but whenever anyone had a question about the Christian Fiction section, they were sent to me.  Why?  Because I had read every single book in that section, that I thought was worth my time.  I don't like fantasy books, so I didn't read those.  It was great, because we could "borrow" books from the store, so as soon as we got a new book, I borrowed it.  I can read a book in two to three days (but then I don't get any housework done!)  I had a young Christian girl in her teens ask me for a recommendation for a book in the teen section.  That was pretty hard because most of the teen books were wicked.  Books about vampires, sex, ghosts, cliques, etc. 

"....but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."

I Timothy 4:12, 13

None of those books would be honoring to God, why would any parent allow their child to fill their mind with such wicked stuff?  But, I had noticed some new books had come in by Beverly Lewis.  I love Beverly Lewis and had read almost all of her books written for adults.  So I recommended "Summerhill Secrets" by Beverly Lewis.  She came back to the store a couple of weeks later thrilled with the book.  She bought volume two and when she came back I was able to steer her to a few other books by Christian authors.  I still had not read Summerhill Secrets yet though!  My husband and I were at Mardel's last week and they had several books on sale for a dollar!  He pointed out these books to me, and I bought them.  Volume one is 5 books in one volume.
The stories are short and follow the life of Merry Hanson.  She is a modern "Englischer" who lives in Amish country.  Some of her best friends are her Amish neighbors, another girl she grew up with who claims to be an atheist, and a  new christian she led to the Lord.  The books follow her struggles and her walk with the Lord.  Even though it is geared for teenagers, I thoroughly enjoyed it!  I would recommend this as a good book for you and your daughter!
You can check out Beverly Lewis's website here:  http://www.beverlylewis.com/ME2/Sites/Default.asp
You can buy the book here: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/easy_find?Ntt=summerhill+secrets+1&N=0&Ntk=keywords&action=Search&Ne=0&event=ESRCN&nav_search=1&cms=1
or check out your local Mardels and see if you can score one for a dollar!
Happy Reading!
Missy

No comments: