Here is one of Benjamin's favorite recipes from "Watch Over Me". The authour sent this recipe to me with the book. I can't wait to try it!
1 cup grated/minced pumpkin (canned pumpkin can be used)
1/2 cup rice flour (white flour can be substituted)
1/2 cup cream of wheat
1/3 cup of whole wheat flour
1 cup unrefined sugar or brown sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp warmed vegetable oil (I wonder if I can substitute a mild EVOO or grapeseed oil?)
Oil for frying.
1. Combine pumpkin and sugar in a saucepan and cook together on med. heat until pumpkin is cooked and the mixture is a thick sticky mass.
2. To the warm mixture, add the warmed oil, cardamom powder, salt and flour and cream of wheat. Knead well.
3. Make small golf-ball sized balls of this mixture. Flatten each ball into a circle about the thickness of a pancake. This can be done easily between wax paper.
4. Deep fry the gharges until golden brown in about 1 in. of oil.
5. Drain on paper towels. When gharges are cool, store them in an airtight container.
As soon as my two weeks of my raw food fast is up I am definitely going to try this!