"....but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine."
I Timothy 4:12, 13

Sunday, January 3, 2010

"Watch Over Mae" Christa Parrish

I started reading "Watch Over Me" by Christa Parrish yesterday.  She is a new author for me.  Her writing style is a lot like Jodi Picoult.  She is very skillful at drawing her readers into the characters lives.  It is about a man of Indian (from India) blood who is married to a hippie.  He was raised in an Indian home with Indian culture here in America.  He changed after serving in hte military in Afghanistan.  She reminds me some of me in the way she likes to dress (broomstick skirts, and t-shirts - which I love to wear when the mood strikes), she's a healthnut (probably a vegetarian?), she's not used to having a family and rules.  They are both Christians, very liberal though - she has a nose ring.  They are trying to build a relationship back together after he comes home but do not know how to.
I don't agree with how they choose their church.  She wants to go to the catholic church because it is more "fun", he wants to go to the Baptist church because it reminds him of his church bnack home, so they compromise and go to an ssembly God of church if I remember correctly.  Whatever happened to choosing a church because you agree with their doctrine?  The sad part is that is how a lot of people choose their church.  When my husband and I chose our church we looked for a church that believed salvation by grace, water baptism, and other things.  Of course we are not sheep led by the nose, but you should go to a church that preaches the bible 100% (KJV - because it has never been changed and is the inspired Word of God).
But back to the book - The wife, Abbi, cannot have kids and Benjamin, the husband, has always wanted to have kids.  He is a policeman and finds a baby just a few hours old in an abandoned field and they take her in as foster parents.  Will the baby draw them together?  Or farther apart?

No comments: